Monday, August 20, 2007

Building Castles in Sand

The summer seems to be over for now. Unrelated, there's a sand sculpture exhibition at Kemnader See lake, which is worth visiting. It is open until 22 o'clock and if you go in after 21 o'clock, you get in half price (3€). I thought of putting here some of my own pictures, but the official website seems to have very nice pictures indeed. Just check under "Bilder" and you'll find them.

---

The trip to Finland approaches and the last preparations are under way. Even though we planned a lot of training sessiosn during the next two weeks, I hope to get some writing done, too. I've heard that there are still places free in the open sessions both in Tampere and in Helsinki. Check the invite and act accordingly if you want to learn to be more effective as a software developer.

---

I received today new software! Apple Software's newest iLife '08 and iWork '08 are waiting to be installed. I almost can't wait to try the new features out. When I bought my iBook and iMac they came preinstalled with iLife '05 and I later bought iWork '05 (probably a day before '06 came out...). The iWork '08 contains the first version of Numbers, the spreadsheet program. I've been waiting for Google to release their spreadsheet application for Safari, but so far I've been waiting in vain.

---

I've been pondering my business recently. Essentially I want to help software developers, who are clever at what they do and don't normally believe that others could teach them anything. They often have intellectual pride. In businesses they are surrounded by managers who don't necessarily understand at all what the software developers are doing. To them it is a miracle what happens and that something gets produced at all. They certainly couldn't do it themselves. It is extremely hard for the managers to go and tell the developers to do something differently especially in the technical matters.
The software developers don't necessarily have any contacts outside of the organization, because their work is more inwards. They focus on getting the code out, it is somebody else's concern to find the customers for it. The managers on the other hand can't see inside the software, they focus almost completely outwards. What does this have to do with my business model?
Well, when I contact companies, I often bump into managers who have no idea how much more better technically their developers could be. I don't normally get to convince the developers who should recognize a good idea when they see one. The managers might have a vague idea that things could go smoother and the deliveries from the software department could be more reliable and have less bugs in them. They just don't know how.
Sometimes it feels like I'm building castles in sand trying to reach people who don't want to be helped and reaching people who don't know that they could help.
I hope I reach the right people with the material that is slowly coming together in www.tick-the-code.com.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home