Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Busy Forevermore

I've been making a lot of sales calls for my upcoming visit to Finland and today I bumped into the worst phone call. I think it will be hard for anybody to break this record.

The transcript of the call:
A voice answers with some background noises.
I introduce myself and why I'm calling. I refer to the email, which contained enough information about my training offer to consider in piece and which had my contact details, and which I had sent a week earlier. I was calling because I hadn't heard anything. I was calling as promised.
Right in the middle of my introduction, the voice on the other end says very quickly "Noo, I'm already busy enough!" and hangs up.
That's it. 23 seconds. A record.

Classic mistakes busyness makes you do: You don't have time to read your emails. You don't have time for "unnecessary" phone calls. You apparently don't have any time to decline the offer via email, which would have stopped me from calling in the first place. No time in a week! You don't have even a minute on the phone to explain why you don't want a training. A training that would possibly help you out of the busyness.

When you're overly busy, you have to protect yourself from everything new. Because you don't have any time to really consider the offers, accepting one might very well be a bad decision. To not make bad decisions, you always say "no." Saying always "no" is bound to be a bad decision some of the time. You pass many genuinely good opportunities just because you cannot use your consideration, because you have no time.

Bygones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home