Monday, May 22, 2006

Windows-afflicted

I guess I still am and will be for some time sick. Not just sick of Windows but because of it. Let me tell you what I mean (who's to stop me, anyway?)

I write stuff and store it in different folders. Then when I think something is ready, I sent it to a couple of my friends (I think of them as friends, regardless of how ruthless the feedback is I get from them), and notice that it isn't even close yet. Sometimes I get the feedback quickly and some take more time to read and comment on my writings. I only want to edit my writing once, so I like to have all the feedback with me before making any changes to the writing. I collect the comments in files and store them on disk.

Just the other day I thought about a system, where I'd write a writing in one place, then create a folder for it with the date as folder name. That would tell me that it awaits criticism. I'd collect all the feedback in the same folder and finally edit the writing and move it somewhere more final then. I did this complicated system and then found myself thinking that moving the writings around isn't such a good idea, because now the "Open recent files..." menu will not work and it will take more time to find the writing to open.

Just today I noticed that it ISN'T SO! A Macintosh OS X can handle that! Applications don't care where the files are, they find them even if they are moved around. The fear I had came directly from dealing too many years with Windows. I guess this is a fairly new feature on a Mac, too, but I wouldn't bet that Windows Vista will ever have a working implementation of this kind of a useful feature.

---
On Wednesday, we leave for a mystery trip. I still don't know anything about it. It starts on Wednesday in Düsseldorf and ends on Sunday in Düsseldorf. During the trip, we'll celebrate my birthday and our 10th wedding anniversary. I guess I better buy some presents soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home