Thursday, November 10, 2005

Life, the Birthdays and Everything

My friend, Stuart had his birthday yesterday, which I managed to forget even though Virpi reminded me in the morning, my laptop reminded me at 10AM and I had sworn to send an email myself. Well, today I sent him a short email, but it bugs me, still.

Talking about birthdays, here's how Virpi invited people to hers:

"The longest and most destructive party ever held is now into its fourth generation and still no one shows any signs of leaving. Somebody did once look at his watch, but that was eleven years ago now, and there has been no follow-up.
...
One of the problems, and it's one which is obviously going to get worse, is that all the people at the party are either the children or the grandchildren or the great-grandchildren of the people who wouldn't leave in the first place, and because of all the business about selective breeding and regressive genes and so on, it means that all the people now at the party are either absolutely fanatical partygoers, or gibbering idiots, or, more and more frequently, both.
Either way, it means that, genetically speaking, each succeeding generation is now less likely
to leave than the preceding one."

-Douglas Adams: Life, the Universe and Everything-

A lot of people came and a nice time was had. (This was already 19-Oct-05, which I'm not forgetting, mind you.)

Then Virpi came up with another quote from the same source. This is what the Thank You note read:

"The problem of when the drink is going to run out is, however, going to have to be faced one day.
...
... it became clear that the party was not going to be going anywhere else for a while, that the party would soon be over. Very soon it would be time to gather up hats and coats and stagger blearily outside to find out what time of day it was, what time of year it was, and whether in any of this burnt and ravaged land there was a taxi going anywhere."

- Douglas Adams: Life, the Universe and Everything -

I found it excellent!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home