Monday, May 11, 2009

Doctoral Dissertation: SW Checking Needs Improving

It's been brought to my attention (thanks, Juha) that there's an interesting doctoral dissertation about to be accepted in Helsinki. Sami Kollanus has written about how the checking methods in software development should really be improved. According to this article (only in Finnish), his dissertation contains some suggestions on how this might be possible.

Professor Tervonen, who acts as the opponent, is familiar for his work in software inspections and I've bumped into his virtually a couple of times. In 2006 I found out that he specializes in inspections and that they had some studies going on in the Department of Information Processing Science in the University of Oulu, so I sent him an email with the faint wish to be noticed. I did receive a friendly reply, but that was that then. The second time was just this year as I took part on an online lecture course and professor Tervonen was one of the lecturers. It was a treat to hear about the current research directions in software inspections.

I can't wait to get my hands on Kollanus' dissertation and read what kind of things he has studied and what kind of suggestions he has for improvements.

---

Tomorrow, I'll be in Sophia Antipolis, France. Again. This time I know where everything is and I'll rent a car, because walking everywhere was truly difficult. Possible, but difficult and slightly dangerous. Not sure that driving with the French is any safer, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home